View Single Post
Old 2004-03-17, 14:43   Link #9
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Perfect timing, I needed a place to vent.

First off, hi. I'm Snoopy, if you don't read mangas then you probably don't know me. Regardless, my team's the one that scans and translates the Midori no Hibi manga (have been for over a year now, actually). And I'm incredibly turned off right now.

First of all, I love Midori no Hibi. It's getting kinda monotonous in the weeklies lately, but it's still good and I still enjoy it. And what makes me enjoy it isn't the stupid concept or the stupid characters (although they are funny, the concept is too out there to ride on comedy alone, at least in my opinion), but the visual aspects of Kazuro Inoue's artwork. The way he portrays things and his character's transformations and so forth. Why do I say this? Because the anime certainly seems to suck monkey balls in this aspect. Geez, they turned Midori into a 12 year old... but the worst part is the scene from the end of chapter 1 where Seiji talks about protecting the secret and stuff (where he's all solemn and kinda feels sorry for Midori). I have examples from the manga and anime linked below to show what I'm talking about to all the people who've never heard of this series before (and you call yourselves fans... ). I know, I'm nit picking it, but it's only 1 and a half minutes and I found like 4 scenes taken directly from the manga that lost all impact due to the crap anime character designs.

http://www.snoopycool.com/anime.jpg
http://www.snoopycool.com/manga.png

Also, as a comment regarding someone up there saying that Midori is ecchi. Just to clarify, it's NOT an ecchi series. At least not in the same way as Hanaukyo Maids or something of that nature. They get into situations you'd get into if you had a chick on your arm (bathing, bathroom, etc) but the story doesn't go out of its way to put Midori into blatantly sexual situations, and Seiji doesn't ever have dirty thoughts about her (at least not on camera). And if they change that in the anime I'll be one pissy little bastard.

Well, that's my 2 cents. And I know I'm premature with it since it's only a preview and evertthing I mentioned could very well be fixed in the episode and stuff, but I figure they'd want to use the best footage they had to make the promo short so now I'm really worried. SO to sum it up, I feel that what makes the Midori manga great (as opposed to good) has been lost in the transfer from manga to anime. Of course that's based solely on the promo footage.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote