Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
A large part of why it's popular is because of what they don't have:
  • gay leads
  • lesbians
  • girl characters that are all about being some dating game stereotype
  • whinny pathetic male leads (on the road to f*cking "whinny adulthood")
  • girl obsessed over male lead
  • male lead obsessed over indifferent girl
  • character with the power (and the train of idiot "sidekick" characters around them)
  • stupid pantsu shots
  • 101 nosebleeds per episode
  • unnecessary blushing
  • excess of sugar-characters (ie. totally useless clumsy dolts)
  • overly "original" character designs (ie. there is no character that is even remotely "normal")
  • self-sufficient characters. Example: the average school character = the only food they need is 1 bento/day, they don't sleep, they have no parents or siblings, they live in school and periodically walk up and down a hill outside the school, there is night only once a year, school is all year long, they all suck at english, etc.
  • flying giant humanoid robots
Sorry you have to learn this now, but breaking the standard usually tends to make things popular, and easily gets them "masterpiece" status in tight groups. Simply because there is no mass production of the stuff you can't call it average when there's nothing to compare with; it's only either "horrible" or a "masterpiece".
It's funny because I'm pretty sure it's had all of those things at one point or another. Let's see:

- Gay Leads (Koizumi in Haruhi while not a lead sure acts kind of acts gay around Kyon who doesn't really do a whole lot to get him to stop so you tell me what's going on there )
- Lesbians (Female characters seem to have implied moments of lesbianism in Kyoto Animation series all the time that are played for laughs. Haruhi with Mikuru, Konata with Kagami, Tsumugi with.....everybody)
- girl characters that are all about being some dating game stereotype (just about every character they've ever done really)
- whiny pathetic male leads (Kyon quite frequently)
- girl obsessed over male lead (well since they only have one male lead I guess it has to be Kyon and his harem. All of the girls dig him on some level even if one of them doesn't want to admit it. If you include Full Metal Panic then it's Sousuke, Chidori and Tessa)
- male lead obsessed over indifferent girl (Kyon with Haruhi and sometimes Yuki Nagato...but only sometimes. FMP with Sousuke and his mission to protect Chidori and her wanting him to go away sometimes)
- character with the power (not sure what this even means)
- unnecessary blushing (K-On....almost all the time)
- excess of sugar-characters (Mikuru, Mio, Yui, Tsukasa to name a few)
- "stupid" pantsu shots (Mikuru and Haruhi in the first and second episode of Haruhi Season 1 respectively, also Mio in K-On, but it's never directly seen on camera)
- overly "original" character designs (No idea what this means)
- self-sufficient characters. Example: the average school character = the only food they need is 1 bento/day, they don't sleep, they have no parents or siblings, they live in school and periodically walk up and down a hill outside the school, there is night only once a year, school is all year long, they all suck at english, etc. (What..... )
- flying giant humanoid robots (Haruhi in the Day of Sagittarius when she launches the ***dam and if you want to count it Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid)

So like wow...not only do they follow what you call the standard, they seem to do it all the time. I don't know what else to say other than you completely don't have an argument here. Sorry bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
^@Kaioshin Sama:

If I'm understanding you correctly (which is pretty hard due to my English being the second language...@_@) you said Kyoani's core audience is 'moe otaku', which is true and false at the same time. In fact, every single late night running animes are totally dependent on response of those small 'otaku' communities, which is almost... everything on the list, not just Kyoani produced series. The reason for K-On's success is that it appealed those 'outside' of otaku community.

Plus, (if I'm understanding you correctly..*shrugs) 2ch means absolutely nothing. They were saying shit about Bakemonogatari all the time and saying it's sales will die due to those continues delays. However, sales kept increasing even more.
2ch seems to have a collective habit of saying one thing and then doing another. They blow a lot of steam, but at the end of the day always come around to supporting what they are fans of. Kind of like fans on the internet in general. Anyway a pie chart of demographics that bought K-On and how they were sliced up among the overall purchases sure would be nice at this point. Though if it did somehow break-out of the core otaku audience (a group that is easily large enough to generate those sales numbers if they come together all on their own) I've never heard about it myself.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-22 at 07:09.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote