View Single Post
Old 2008-04-27, 02:43   Link #18
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Aw, shucks Scenery is relative. If you're in a suburban or rural area, you probably don't think much of your trees and wildlife; if you're in an urban environment, you probably don't think much of your buildings, graffiti, concrete, or people. All of these are valuable elements, but figuring out when and how to capture them is the challenge. For each prized image that I post here, there are tens (and occasionally hundreds) of sub-par images that I'm not presenting. True professionals hate people like me - a "true photographer" spends a lot of time examining the scene and figuring out how to work the angle and the various settings. Probably because they're used to only having 26 shots per roll of film, they take very few pictures, but each picture is spectacular. People like me and the members of the "point and shoot brigade" (as they're affectionately called) are used to having hundreds of shots per card and easily being able to sort through them. We spend less time going over the set-up and more time putting our camera to work, only later examining how they came out. It's a valuable learning experience.

If you're totally new to photography, I definitely recommend starting out with a point and shoot camera. They're not too expensive (I believe you can get some for under $100 now) and they're generally very sturdy. Once you have it, use it. Just experiment, and learn through that. PaS cameras are made to be easy to use, and most don't let you toy with complicated settings even if you want to. Just by experience you'll likely begin to gain an appreciation for vantage points and positioning, and you may also develop an eye for interesting parts of your environment (as an artist you probably have more of this than most people). When you start to feel that your camera is holding you back from capturing what you envision, it's time to upgrade!

Look at kayos' images - notice how everything is very clear and sharp in detail? My PaS is also like that. It's great for most people who simply want to capture what they see, but it becomes very difficult to get that sense of depth and blur that I've shown in many of my pictures. I think it was after I wrestled with the autofocus on my PaS for about three minutes to get a blossom against a blurred background that I realized I was ready for something that offered me more control. Zoom as another element that I was missing, and so I jumped up to a DSLR.

Spoiler for Optical vs. Digital Zoom:

The PaS won't let you jump into artistic photography, but it's excellent for giving you the basics and training your mind to think in ways that are valuable to photography. If you don't want to jump from a PaS to a DSLR, there is an intermediate: "DSLR-like" cameras. These are cameras that have a lens like a standard DSLR, but unlike a DSLR the lens can't be exchanged with another. It's a step up from a PaS but otherwise it's rather limited, as the lens used makes a pretty big difference in how your images will turn out (as well as what you can capture). You could probably train yourself on that or even a DSLR, but the cost may not be worth it. You can use the camera in "automatic" mode most of the time and still get amazing shots, but the real power of the DSLR is in letting you set the controls manually when under difficult conditions. Get used to carrying a camera around and using it under varying conditions, and then go for the big stuff - the DSLR will feel bulky compared to most PaS models, but you get used to it.

Whatever you do, don't let your interest die out without giving it a chance Most of us are our own worst critics. Give it your best, stick with it, and let others and time decide. If you have any shots already I'd certainly be happy to see them. I'm also curious about the scenery in your area - I try to think of boring/unworthy scenery but I can't come up with any.