View Single Post
Old 2011-10-27, 21:34   Link #60
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
For example, you think that resources are a non-issue. Why is that? Do you even know how they were even able to travel through time or the circumstances in which that occurred that you can say that resources are a non-issue? I don't think that you can say that you do. Bringing up these "issues" now when we don't even know the condition of the UE in Flit's time (let alone the condition 100 years from now other than the Earth being destroyed, at least, according to the spoiler) seems a bit pointless as there's nothing to say one way or another whether your "issues" are even real.
I'll ask you, what could resources mean aside from, well, material substances and/or energy of some magnitude? If someone can answer me that simple question and the two that follow, I will be at ease but I need an answer:

Given a resource, no matter what it is or its origin, if you can travel backwards in time (specifically to a point in time before you used the resource and while it still existed, say a few seconds before you used it in normal time) could you not simply continue looping time forever because you would always have said resource?

Now add to that question: Could you, with your future knowledge of just a few seconds, work with yourself over and over and over, until you have thousands of hours of experience with the material and time traveling, and in every iteration furthering your own technology ever so slightly. Even if one of 'you' may die, there would technically be an infinite number of yous available, all younger, to carry on your research?

Stargate (as bad a resource as that is) had an episode specifically on this concept, the whole of Ground Hog Day is built on this, and hell even Steins;Gate had elements of this, Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia use this even. The moment you can go backward in time, is the moment creating a loop becomes an almost certainty.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote