View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 22:13   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
The i5 is plenty.

The 7950 nvidia equivalent would be the 660ti.
At this point, the nvidia card are: cooler, quieter, consumer less electricity.
AMD vs nvidia is old talk, AMD driver are pretty good these day. nvidia just get more optimization from game developer.

8gb of ram is plenty, worst case scenario you can still put more in the future. Just make sure to at least get 2x4gb (not 4x2gb).

No need for sound card, integrated are correct for your need. And the CPU utilization for sound is negligible with current gen cpu power.

Windows : If it came with your computer, you can't reuse it (it's probably OEM).
I would suggest getting windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM (under 100$ most of the time), it have all the good feature without going over the top.
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to buy from AVADirect.com. If I choose Windows 7 in the system configuration, do you think they'd put it on an SSD (I'm getting a 128 GB one)? I think they might put it on a HDD instead. I might just buy Windows 7 Home Premium separately. No need for Windows 7 Professional, huh? I just won't need it if I'm just going to do basic computer use (Internet, HD streaming/watching videos, MS Office) and gaming, right?

The person who told me to go nVidia said AMD drivers are still bad. AMD drivers have gotten much better and I can just ignore his claims? I should just go with AMD? I'd like to, I have an affinity for Radeons; I am drawn to them more than Geforce cards.

@Irenicus: Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Disclaimer: I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable guy around here. If someone contradicts my opinion, they are probably right.
Well, everything you said is what Spikexp said, so so far, you are on the right track.

Question: Do they plan to develop more LGA 1155 i5s and i7s? Do you think in 12 months or even 18 months from now they might release new i5s and i7s of that socket type?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-09-27 at 23:13.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote