View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 00:45   Link #20
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

To the two of you who replied today, thanks for additional input.

I've been doing homework on parts for this system. For a power supply, I'm getting a Seasonic X-Series PSU, which is a top tier brand and model according to a reliable source. It is 80 Plus Gold. It is 850W. I used a PSU calculator and factored in many things for it (wasn't conservative with it), and the recommended wattage was 688. A 850W PSU should be all I need.

As for case, I'm still trying to decide on one. One recommended to me is about $140. I'm not sure about that one, but I did find one that seems pretty good that retails for $100. It is the Corsair Carbide Series 400R. I might end up with that one.

Still gotta do some research on the motherboard. I'm probably going to get an Asus Intel motherboard. A Z77 motherboard.

I'm only going to get 8 GB of RAM. That is all I'll need for a while. I was thinking of going with 12 GB of RAM, but the RAM I want only comes in a 2 stick package. I can't buy a single 4 GB stick of the RAM I want. It is either 8 GB of RAM or 16 GB of RAM, and 16 GB of RAM just isn't needed for a gaming desktop right now. By time I'm ready for 16 GB of RAM will probably be around the time I get a new motherboard and by then there will probably be DDR4 RAM to choose from. I'm getting 1600 DDR3 RAM. I was gonna get 1866 RAM, but it turns out that the memory controller for the processor I'm getting doesn't really take advantage of 1866 RAM. 1% increase in performance for apps over 1600 RAM with the processor I want.