View Single Post
Old 2007-11-09, 22:02   Link #339
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Have you actually lived in both cultures?
Or are you saying this from completely western standpoint?

If it's the former, I would repect it. But if it's the latter, it would be bit of an arrogant form of prejudice. Not that I'm any less guilty of it.
I was born and lived 10 years in Korea, 7months in China and now I have lived in the US for 7 years. So I am not a western , and I lived in both cultures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
If you really think the enlightenment era was all about open minds, you'd better think again. In a sense it upheld an extremely closed perspective of the world, one where the Descartian values of "universal truth" were unquestionable and the belief of everything being explainable using Newtonian physics was ultimate. Not that it was a negative era, but let's look at it like it really was. If you were to compare it to current times, the enlightenment scientists would be extremely closed-minded.
Well still for for it's time their idea was pretty different and they were thinking of new ideas at that time. So I would say that their way of thinking was more open then the east.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Ahh, John Locke reminds me of IPR laws and how it has problems when it comes to joint inventions, but that's another story.

I guess it is only natural for a country to paint itself as good an image as possible. I don't agree with this at all but it is the reality. I was in the Japanese education system until Primary 2 and we were told/watched various stories based on the "war". Basically, all us kids knew was that Japan was in a war in the past and got bombed badly, killing lots of families and civilians.

Me, being a cynic take this to be the start of the "brainwashing" process (which I hear so much about but never had the chance to experience it myself) by first invoking the emotional feelings of little kids. What we see and learn as kids unconsciously form our adult personalities and opinions in the future.

Now, I like Imperial War Museums and checking out controversies. My parents were far less than amused when I felt like checking out Yasukuni so I didn't.

Since this seems biased against Japan, let me remind you of an earlier post about the USA simply "withdrawing" from the Vietnam War. Another form of "brainwash". Happens everywhere.

For the record, I'm a Hong Konger who grew up in Japan for 5 years, UK for 2.5 years, and Hong Kong for 10 years. I'm now back in the UK, as an undergrad.

Edit: To add to the topic, the world is a whole mix of a countless number of people, races and culture with a hugely diverse history. I believe no one culture is superior to the other. Every country and culture has its pros and cons. Hong Kong is a highly efficient city criticised for its lack of innovation. The UK on the other hand is very artistic, "loose" and more creative but nowhere near as efficient as Hong Kong.
Reminds me of the US with Gautemala, when I heard what the US did it I was disgusted. Bribing the press to lie about the real events, and setting up a dictatorship in that country while they were supposing to be the protector of the freedom during the cold war. Also in Vietnam lying about Gulf of tonkin to the public (well it was only LBJ but still...).

Last edited by Terrestrial Dream; 2007-11-09 at 22:18.
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote