Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-13, 02:17   Link #18230
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Yeah, it is pretty ugly, both the incident itself and the reaction on the internet. The pollution and lack of management of the fishing industry on the Chinese side is finally taking its toll. There is a very simple explanation for fisherman venturing into others EEZs: there is not much fish to be caught near Chinese shores. I agree the Chinese government should do more to put some tap on the unruly fisherman. But I am pretty pessimistic on how much such measures will work unless the fundamentals are changed.

As for the internet reaction, Chinese internet is filled with so called FQ愤青/粪青(angry youth/ sh*t youth). These are usually most loud and noisy bunch. The previous disputes (such as the one with Japan over Diaoyu Dao/senkaku) has the negative effect that some people resort to nationalism whenever there is some incident involving Chinese fisherman and foreign police, regardless of the circumstances. But there are sane voices whichever internet forum you go to. I don't know much of the Korean reaction, but from the Chinese source that I read, there are a few Korean papers calling nasty names to the Chinese fisherman. Most Koreans that I know are pretty patriotic/nationalistic. I doubt there is no hate spewing on the Korean internet. In fact, I suspect there are quite some since they will have some self-rightness(justified to a degree) on their side .

To summarize, yes, it is a tragic incident, and crimes should be punished by law. The Chinese government should consider measures to prevent such incidents from reoccurring. But I don't think that simplify everything down to sino-centralism is going to help any side.
People turn to sino-centricism because of how the Chinese government behaves on the world stage; or at least how the western headlines like to put it : claiming parts of the South China Sea, dumping goods on the market, artificially keeping their currency low, etc.

Even the local born Chinese of where I stay invented degratory terms for them because of how a significant majority carry themselves upon China's economic might. It all starts with the government, if they stop trolling the rest of the world, more likely than not the citizens would follow suit, and so likely would Sinocentricism blames disappear.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.