Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-07-15, 16:23   Link #8227
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
It absolutely isn't a straw man, your claiming vindication through the "grief" it may cause 9/11 families but the fact is worse has been done to them, and the fact that you paint this mosque as the pinnacle of pain that they will suffer is absurd.
"Pinnacle"? You're, once again, putting words in my mouth. I can, however, see why they'd see it as a provocation. Yes, it is unfair that a few extremists have... co-opted the symbols of an entire religion for themselves. But they have, and it's something we have to deal with. I'd prefer a soft touch than yelling "racist" whenever someone disagrees.

Quote:
Also the grief that muslims will take, is exactly the same type of grief blacks took in diners in Greensboro, NC, should they have just taken it, and not fought for their rights to be treated as equals? This is a question of freedom to do and associate as one pleases, no other peoples rights are being violated.
A fair point, for once. However, I'd point out:
- Ground Zero is hardly the whole of America, or even the whole of New York. They could have put their mosque a little further. Or waited a bit longer.
- I'm not arguing for any kind of legal action. All I'm saying is, they could have abstained, and maybe they should have.

Black people had to make a stand to get their rights, or nothing would have changed. Muslims already have their rights, and - this is where I must confess my lack of knowledge of the American situation - I think that as long as they live peacefully and don't make waves, they'll only become more integrated.

And if they had to make a stand, maybe this place isn't the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

So are these Cordoba guys the dumb ones or are the ones screaming hellfire and Jesus the dumb ones...?
Do we have to pick one?