View Single Post
Old 2013-01-08, 19:59   Link #273
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I bought this up in the Robotics;Notes thread too (only the attitude there was towards the intentional fantasticness of super robot shows), but why does everything have to be a cynical commentary on a trend? (Which is, in the cases most people theorize, either moe or the anime fandom). Not everything in this world is being presented through a layer of irony and commentary. Sometimes things are what they are simply because they're amusing, or they're there to add depth, but not necessarily to "call something out".
I'm not sure why my suggestion bothers you so much. Many of the great works of fiction were all about subverting or deconstructing widely beloved tropes or entertainment trends.

NGE and Madoka Magica are two huge anime examples of this. The Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are two huge comic book examples of this.

No trope is absolutely perfect. Any trope will get tiresome if its constantly played straight in work after work after work, year after year after year. Heck, even "happy endings" in general became tiresome to many people for just this reason. Lately I get a sense that people want and appreciate happy endings more than what was the case just a few years ago. Going through some "bad ends" likely helped some people appreciate "happy endings" in a way that they didn't for a long time.

Likewise, going through some "moe mask" girls might give some people a new and/or greater appreciation for sincere moe girls, like Clannad's Nagisa and K-On's Yui.

So for this reason, and others, I'm glad that Masuzu is the way she is.