Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-29, 22:45   Link #5854
james0246

U.S. to Move 9/11 Trial From New York City, Official Says

Quote:
The Obama administration on Friday gave up on its plan to try the Sept. 11 plotters in Lower Manhattan, bowing to almost unanimous pressure from New York officials and business leaders to move the terrorism trial elsewhere.

“I think I can acknowledge the obvious,” an administration official said. “We’re considering other options.”

The reversal on whether to try the alleged 9/11 terrorists blocks from the former World Trade Center site seemed to come suddenly this week, after Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg abandoned his strong support for the plan and said the cost and disruption would be too great.

But behind the brave face that many New Yorkers had put on for weeks, resistance had been gathering steam.

continued...
I can't say that I am shocked, but I am a bit disheartened. They (New York officials and Presidential officials) didn't even attempt some sort of "change of venue" excuse (which I would have at least considered acceptable), instead choosing an "economic" excuse (which, while valid, does seem like they are pasing the buck) to avoid the issue.