View Single Post
Old 2004-05-11, 09:34   Link #39
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
After looking into RSS, and even writing my own feed for manga, it's very simple. It would be easy to write a script in linux that would monitor feeds for certain titles and launch a linux bittorrent client. It would be harder to accomplish in Windows, though, but there are open source bittorrent apps and RSS readers for Windows. It could be done.
Actually, this is a great idea... think TiVo... Imagine a program that would keep track of the files you like to download (monitor trends and interests) and automatically monitor RSS feeds to look for new files. For example, if you're following a certain series, it would automatically look out for when the next episode is released and start the BitTorrent download automatically. But, if you tied it into a larger database, it could actually automatically classify anime by genre (based on file classification databases), so then you could take it to the next level - "You liked y, so there's this new show z you might also like..." (Think the Anime Recommendations Database.) Of course, you'd be able to place limits on how much bandwidth or disk space you'd like to make available to the auto-download function. In theory, though, you'd just leave your computer on at night, and you'd wake up in the morning with a bunch of new shows to watch. This wouldn't only apply to anime, though - you could set it up to monitor other files and programs - for example, every time a new version of a program is released. I don't know whether there's generally enough bandwidth to make that feasible today for the mass-market, but in the near future it would seem to me like the next logical step.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone is working on something like that for BitTorrent, but it sounds like a good idea to me!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote