View Single Post
Old 2004-10-29, 16:35   Link #50
Stofzuiger
Bubblewrap!!!

omgz, german

I honestly could not think of a single reason to want to learn German at all. I've had German for 4 years at school, finished it last year... and boy was I glad to get rid of it

I mean, I myself am Dutch, and (if I'm right) German is the language most related to Dutch (leaving out that silly accent they speak in Belgium )... and it was a friggin pain in the ass.

Although the vocabulary itself isn't all that hard (for me, I don't know about native English speakers), you just take a Dutch word, and add a German tone to it, and *poof*, 90% of the times you have an actually existing German word. Wether it's used in the same context is another thing ofcourse

The part of German that most people have lots of difficulties with is their grammatical system. Even though I'm Dutch, which is very much like German in terms of grammar, it was tough alright. I mean, namefalls (is that a correct English word? )... ARG ... We quit using those 50 yrs ago for a reason you know! They're friggin impossible . Although in theory, they're not all that hard, but when you're actually talking to someone, try to use the right one then

Ok, enough German bashing for one day, ofcourse it does count a lot that you actually want to learn the language, instead of me being forced to learn it. However, as always, having a teacher is much better then using books since you learn to have actual conversations. Hope I didn't scare you though, or offend anyone German or Belgian

So, that's all the help I can give to someone wanting to learn German...
or perhaps:
der-----die-----das-----die
des----der-----des-----der
dem----der-----dem----den
den-----die-----das-----die

Stofzuiger is offline   Reply With Quote