View Single Post
Old 2004-11-11, 14:20   Link #54
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
You friend was obviously hurt by his father's suicide, but he was hardly a victim (in any legal sense) of a crime (suicide). I think your friend's father failed in his obligations as a father but I still think he should have the right to kill himself. I could never agree with the whole guilt trip arguement against suicide. Seems like an effective way to stop suicides but it just seems to be people against suicide trying/saying anything to get people to stop without really thinking about what they might be doing to the mental state of the person. They've basically done nothing to sell the person on life but have convinced him that thoughts of suicide are "bad" and that he should feel guilty for even thinking about it. Oh great one more thing to feel miserable about.
True, there are no victims in a legal sense, but it there are still victims. Also, I never said that giving someone who's considering suicide a guilt trip is a good way to prevent it. I know it won't work if the person is serious. However, that doesn't mean it should be discounted in an objective analysis of the moral and ethical aspects of suicide.