Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-07, 12:07   Link #703
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
)...But this is sci-fi and this is Yamato. If we were to go by the book and all physicky then right off the bat the first point would be "WTF?! An old WW II battleship is converted into a state of the art space craft?" Right?!
You know I have always been confused about that.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the WWII Yamato site chosen simply as camouflage to fool Gamilas.
After all, isn't this new Yamato supposed to be considerably larger than the original WWII ship?

The WWII warship stats:

Displacement: 65,027 tonnes (64,000 long tons)
Length: 263 m (862 ft 10 in) (overall)
Beam: 38.9 m (127 ft 7 in)
Draft: 11 m (36 ft 1 in)
Crew: 2800

The New Yamato 2199 stats (best I could find online):
Displacement: ??? (I assume it is around 80,000-100,000+ tons considering all the new systems, and enlarged size).
Length: 333 meters
Beam: 80 meters?
Draft: ???
Crew: 3000+

While the original TV show was about a refit of the WWII battleship, I think it illogical to assume that the 2199 version can be the same vessel.
We now know that the real Yamato is in multiple pieces.
Source.

I understand that Yamato 2199 is just a Space Opera and thus "artistic license" is in effect, but as a long-time fan of this show/series I'd like to think that the Space Battleship was a totally new ship built in honor of the original rather than the actual keel of the WWII ship.

As for it's realism as a spaceship of this kind.
From a military standpoint the low-profile of the Space Battleship Yamato is superior to other SF designs we see.
Take the Enterprise from Star Trek for example.
Scientifically it may be great, but from a military point of view it is a terrible design due to all of its high-profile surfaces, externally mounted engines, and inability to land on a planet.

While a design like the Space Battleships/Cruisers of Yamato make practical sense when you come from a planet whose surface is 70% covered by water. Landing on Earth is easy with such a design, not to mention it's low-profile in nearly every angle makes it a fine warship.
I suppose it could be argued that the bridge should be at the front of the vessel or perhaps be internal, but that would hamper it's atmospheric use.
On many occations in the original TV show we see Yamato flying in an atmosphere, so would it be safe to say that the ship is more akin to a Aerospacecraft rather than just a spaceship?