Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 12:20   Link #715
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm not sure if I noticed the tilt or not, but it does make sense given the hard impact. When Kirishima gets a similar impact from Gamilas weapons she tilts as well.

And yes the guy does look like Be Forever's Mamoru. The thing I noticed here was that aside from Sanada, this was the only place we saw other Yamato crew members in the green uniforms. This guy has a rank of I suppose 1st Lieutenant, which is what Kato has. I can't tell what position he would have been if he lived. Guessing Navigation Chief (Shima's position) if Mamoru was suppose to be the Combat Chief. That is assuming that Sanada was always suppose to go on the voyage as Science Chief.

That is again assuming that not everyone that is in a department head position was in that bunker and killed. If that was the case, than all of Yamato's department heads were picked quickly from the remaining crew and people Okita trusted. Tokugawa had likely been Okita's chief engineer on the Kirishima for a long time, but was up for retirement...so perhaps the call for him to Yamato was something short notice. Hirata was also serving on Kirishama and now he's the Accounting Department Head (and got a heavy promotion similar to Kodai, Shima, and Mori).

The Warp meeting shows us most of the department heads (the rest of the departments I suppose are sub-departments under these people) Nanbu, Kato, and Niimi being the ones that are under someone else's command other than the Captain. Nanbu and Kato are under Kodai's command (as is I guess Security, but that guy wasn't at the meeting), but run specific departments (Gunnery and Fighter Wing). Niimi is needed to explain the engine and wave motion gun. She also was not promoted heavily like several of the others....she was a "captain" (army rank) already.

As for if the timeline is stable and Kodai becomes Deputy Captain over Sanada. Well it might depend on how he proves himself verses Sanada's ideas of command. I doubt Sanada wants to command a starship, and would step aside in honor of his friend Mamoru. (There is also Be Forever, Yamato, when Kodai asks Sanada if he's Captain now of the refitted ship. Sanada laughs at that before telling him who is in command.) Though there is another precident. Yamato III has a Captain and two XOs. So is it possible that Kodai gets bumped up to combat XO on the same level as Sanada (perhaps with a promotion in rank) and thus they are both XO, just Kodai is more suited to the combat missions they need to undertake as they get closer to Iscandar.

Because even while Kodai is acting as Captian, he tends to need advise from Sanada and the others to make an informed choice. Okita tends to know things already and will just give an order...Kodai tends to involve the others on the bridge...even if he does make snap command decisions from time to time like a Captain should.

Kodai is also faster to call for the Wave Motion Gun...but that might be due to experiance in what it can do verse's Okita's voyage.