View Single Post
Old 2008-05-29, 00:19   Link #232
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Sorta like the smirk in episode 8 when she was bugging Alto about losing that only memento she had of her mother, after she got him in that 'oh SHIT, she got me!' bind?
Exactly. You probably meant to counter me about the genuine remark, but that's not what I was talking about, that's a different issue.

Quote:
It's not hard to do, and it's very easy when you're a politician/celebrity with a sympathetic audience.
There's sleazy REAL LIFE politicians/celebrities, and there's ANIME. Sheryl is not real. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Sheryl. is. not. real. Kawamori developed this fictional character. I'm not saying that you can't interpret it however you want, but at least do it within reason and not go so out of bounds that you end up filling in your own stuff stuff the anime didn't even tell you to do.

We know Sheryl wasn't serious about the lost earring despite tearing up in front of Alto because she had that little smirk going on, which no one saw except for the audience watching Macross ep 8. -_- The Macross team was showing us that Sheryl was only teasing Alto about it, and Alto doesn't know that because he didn't see the smirk - but we did.

But the breaking down scene, there was nothing to suggest that. Sheryl was clearly breaking down, and the audience cries reminded her that it was unprofessional of her, that's why she tried to compose herself by brushing her tears away. Heck, there was even an extreme close up shot of her doing that, for the benefit of us watchers. -_-

(Which is why I can't believe we're arguing about this.)