View Single Post
Old 2008-01-15, 23:00   Link #221
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Whoops knew I forgot something
@Aaron:
Danke.
For my own curiousity, what was confusing? I of course would have none as I know... Mostly everything (Minus things we haven't really pinned down...), I'd be assuming the confusion is on exactly what is going on, ne?
But of course I'll write MOAR. Much MOAR. Arc-en-Ciel: Ashes unto Dust is essentially me aiming for some level of epic
You pretty much hit the spot.

The confusing part was indeed me going "Wait, what's going on?"

Will look forward to more. I smell potential EPICNESS here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
Okay, pretty good.

Granted, it's not crap, but it isn't making me hang on the edge either...

...but don't feel bad. I've been reading anime ffs since I was in highschool, and am a pretty jaded reader.

Ask Aaron.
Which is why I'm actually surprised I get some 'more than just good' or 'very good' review ratings from you. Since I'm just a relative beginner in writing. Though I guess I get to hit the right spots at those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
<sighs, thinks>

Let me think...

Your writing style is solid: both descriptive and concise, and you obviously know enough of the English language that you don't need to keep using the same words over and over again.

Characterization, for what I've seen, is pretty much spot on - there're a few inconsistencies, but they are hugely minor compared to what you've gotten RIGHT.

Your genre usage is good, as well: when you want to be funny, when you want to be serious, you are.

Your stuff IS kinda difficult to read, format wise, but that's FF.net's fault and not yours.

Frankly, the main idea that I have for improving is more EPIC source material. I went thru your 6th Division stuff, and it's good.

You focus on everyday events, and that's good. Things like the ARIA franchise have made it HUGE doing just that kind of thing...

Quote:
...but the problem is that they'll never win any awards. To my experience, people read fanfiction for one of two reasons...

1) As the song goes, "you wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same - You wanna be where everybody knows your name."

Or what I call the Cheers Syndrome - that even the heroes we look up to have the problems we do.

This is why people write high school and other such stories.

2) To dive into epic and fantastic worlds where the fate of many lies in the hands of a few.

Or what I term the Lord of the Rings Syndrome - seeing the heroes kick ass, look cool doing it, fight against an evil foe, and ultimately win the day.

You do #1 like no one else I know - but a good author can do 1 & 2 with equal ability.

The only improvement I can suggest is -

Less of 1, more of 2.
Though IMHO, Jail's threat in the 6th Division series provided far more EPIC compared to StrikerS.

Quote:
Do keep this in mind, though:

The authors on my shelf are some of the following:

Tom Clancy

Clive Cussler

Jack DuBrul

James Clavell

Umberto Eco

And other such persons.
They're pretty high up the ladder, as far as I know...

Quote:
<laughs>

Sorry, "nya" is sort of a general, all-purpose phrase, the meaning of which depends on HOW it's phrased.

It's something that I picked up from my fiancee - she normally used it when she was irritated, but I ended up spamming it for so many things that she dropped it and found herself a new all-purpose phrase.

Here, "nya" is like "okay."

I'll try and make it's usage more apparent...

I though you meant 'nya~' that's the equivalent of 'meow~' in Japanese...

EDIT: Ooh~, page claim!

*sees Satashi*

Uhoh!

*Runs like hell!*

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-01-15 at 23:58.
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote