View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 04:27   Link #90
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
It may be PA Works, but Mari Okada is no Jun Maeda - she's generally pretty good about laying and following groundwork for things like romances. Thankfully, since I think that its only the music and Kana Hanazawa's voice that makes that scene work in Angel Beats - I could see it blowing up in the face of most directors who try something like that.
What this series is proving to me, is that Mari Okada is just not good at portraying comedy when "she's trying too hard". I'm a firm believer that the best kind of comedy is when it just happens or when it's not really intended to be in the first place. Take the "I hate you Mom omelet" in episode 2. That was supposed to be relatively dramatic but many people like myself laughed at it because it was also kind of funny.

Forced comedy, tropes, exaggeration or slapstick comedy seems to be much better handled by Jun Maeda, I actually laugh at some of it.

Granted, I perfectly agree that Okada is better at laying groundwork for social commentary issues including relationships and romance than Maeda is. True Tears, Wandering Son, AnoHana and even Toradora to an extent all show this.