View Single Post
Old 2012-12-30, 13:27   Link #26
solomon

Now look, it depends on what you are looking at. Or what you are talking about. Animation is the MOVEMENT, not the drawings or design. If you wanna talk about those two Ds, that's like Visuals or Design in general.

I always intrerpret this just from a kinectic standpoint, is the movement or action or "acting" vibrant, believable and or interesting?

Now if you are looking at OVAs from like the 80s and 90s, then that's not fair because they were flush with money.

TV shows before the 90s are generally not well animated (or even drawn sometimes) due to CRAZY schedules, but there are a few exceptions. Some 80s Gundam stuff is good (in spots), also Dunbine and L-Gaim had their moments. YuYu Hakusho had some surprisingly nicely done episodes too.

Some random Toei stuff was surprising too. 80s GeGeGe no Kitaro for example. Also just about anything from Tokyo Movie Shinsha (now TMS) is very appealing to look at.

Frankly I think on average, animation for TV work is far superior. Look at our best Naruto eps, recent One Piece eps (like Marineford and Impel Down and Thriller Bark). And like tons of stuff by Bones, A-1, KyoAni, very lively drawings and animation on a TV budget.

Case in point; Gurren Lagann, I still have NO IDEA how they pulled that off with TV scheduling, that was good feature film quality!

I do admit though, with few exceptions Traditional Paint coloring kicks digital colorings ASS. Check older Inu Yasha eps vs new eps, That digital red is just WIERD
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote