View Single Post
Old 2012-10-24, 15:41   Link #3298
cronnoponno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
-----------
All right, here's my take on this debate on lore and non-lore arguments that have divided the game player community, stemmed from this mod ( http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25395/ ):

Everyone has the right to do what he or she wants with the game, to create it as their own Skyrim installation with whatever mods they want. They don't go around Nex to tell others what they like or hate, and what style should they be following. In my case, I want my Skyrim to be a little more like Twelve Kingdoms, as my character is dressed in a school uniform.

However, I'm appalled by the insistence on "lore purity" and the mindset that reminds me too much of purists elsewhere in other fandoms, in which such purists hate anime influences and "Final Fantasization" of Skyrim altering the game's appearance (i.e. Skyhair, body mods, armor, etc.). I also find such purism and snide commentary an insult to those who put in hundreds or even thousands of man-hours taken to produce non-lore yet elaborate mods.

BTW, not all hairstyles in SkyHair look as if they came from the salon. For my character I gave her simple long, straight hair.
I'm about 50/50 on this, while I try to keep the game have a sense of immersion, I will end up breaking lore to:
1: Make the females less ugly, while giving them RIDICULOUS hairstyles would be taking it too far, I am willing to push a little here, I like the warrior Ria companion mod lol.
2.Certain outfits, I don't think I'd go as far as a school uniform, but I would definitely use many outlandish clothing types that Skyrim would have never seen before.
3.Make guys less ugly(though these are harder to find, without making them super thin and hearthrobbingly muscled, I like the Vanilla male body but I'd like to make the faces less ugly at times).
4: Weight, I don't care how much people say it's cheating, 15 pounds per dragon bone?!? Potions and ingredients having weight? Ores? I think most equips, misc, and books are good enough.

I respect pretty much all mods though, the only mods I really dislike are ones that go OVER the top to break the game. Like 90% of the ''new spell'' mods, I checked out that wizard academy mod and the spells were downright broken and silly looking, if Elder Scrolls was an mmo than those spells would have looked like a maxed out private server. I was trying to find a good expansion of spells in the game, and they are either boring and barely change much, or are crazy machinegun nukes.

Just tried the ''SkyRE'' (Skyrim Redone) mod and I am absolutely loving it, this is probably the BEST mod I have gotten in my search to expand this game, it makes the game so much more challenging and it's surprisingly compatible with a huge number of mods. I also like the buffs it gave to alteration to make spellblading much cooler(ability to enchant elements on your weapon temporarly, but can't if it's already enchanted and the enchants are only ''kinda good'' but a cheap and effective alternative for the most part), epic nerfs on enchanting, revamped perk trees(10% speed buff perk if using a spell in one hand and not a shield, as well as a perk to negate damage if you strike at the same time they do while dual wielding), it nearly revamps every single thing in the game, yet manages not to break shit, I still haven't discovered all the crap this mod has newly done, best mod ever.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9286
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote