View Single Post
Old 2010-01-23, 00:29   Link #78
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haya_chan View Post
I wanted to ask you guys something. I'm a fellow KH fan, having played all the games except this. I've heard mixed opinions about the game, so I don't know if I should buy it or rent it. What do you recommend?
Like Makube said, the DS limitations make the game look rather inferior to past KHs, but for what DS can do, I say that it's better than KH or KH2 on the uberly more powerful PS2.

Since you played all the games, you prob should get 358/2 Days, for the story and fill-in on Roxas if for nothing else. The game really falls into place and fills the holes that exist in KH, Com, and KH2 limited knowledge. Pretty much everything left unanswered so far is answered (even stuff that has nothing to do with Org. XIII), and it raises a question or two that will undoubtedly be answered in BBS. I've also played all the other main KH games, and over the years have made speculations about all those questions that were still unanswered. 358/2 Days answered most of them satisfyingly.

Verdict: 358/2 Days is best if seen and treated as an answer game. Like I said before, I think of it as the Kai or Answer Arc to the other games with regard to Roxas.
If you're looking to play purely for gameplay, it's still worth buying, but the Panel system that replaces the AP system is more of a more customizable upgrade of AP than something totally new, and isn't as nearly as dramatic a change as the Card system in CoM. The game isn't a button masher like KH2, but it's still pretty easy on the Normal setting; a few bosses will get you stuck, but it'll always be strategy that will beat them, not necessarily grinding and backtracking like in KH. 358/2 Days also ditched the dumb@ss "hit the Triangle button to do amazing impossible things (cheap tricks)!!!11" thing that made KH2 pathetically easy even on its hardest setting, which in my opinion is a good thing.
Story Mode doesn't quite live up to the KH series's tradition of being like a Disney theme park, a lengthy journey with beautiful graphics to ogle all the way. The only way the graphics will be beautiful is if you never played anything but DS games, and the game might be a little lengthier if you partake in the Single or Multiplayer Mission Mode. I personally don't like Mission Mode, since my only reason to play it Single Player was to get more items when I opened all the treasures in Story Mode (it's not very fun by yourself), and Multiplayer is crippled by the lack of DS Download Play. A multiplayer DS game without Download Play is like a seventh generation home console game without Wi-Fi capabilities: it just don't make sense when all your competitors have it.

So, hope this helps you make your decision.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote