View Single Post
Old 2008-01-18, 07:16   Link #510
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Instead of getting it as right as possible the first time, lazy you prefers to correct using a (theoretically jammable) command link...
I just want to point out something here...There seems to be an assumption that you cannot download targeting data and course correction to your shots after you fire them, and that it's an inherently flawed technique to use.

Well, sorry to burst your bubble... but the US and most nations on Earth have been doing it since the 60s. I'm talking about Semi Active Radar Homing.

Take the AIM-7 Sparrow. You fire the Sparrow at the target; once fired you continue to maintain lock and send course correction updates. Or the RIM-67 Standard Missile 2 used on Aegis cruisers and destroyers. The Aegis system designates the targets, fires the missiles, then tells the missiles where to go and keeps on sending course corrections.

Or the Lock On After Launch mode for the Hellfire missiles mounted on the Apache and the latest Cobras. As the name says: launch first, then lock on.

Now, consider that the US military operates in high intensity warfare. Consider that they wargame for the worst possible senarios. And if firing first and then sending course corrections works for them, then it fucking better well work for us!

(A note on the Sparrow: Sparrow was replaced by the AIM-120 AMRAAM, which is lock on first, then fire, because this is a better option for dogfighting. However, AMRAAM is capable of receiving targeting data and course correction updates so long as the datalink is active, and thus using those to steer itself to the target with greater precision. Which is to say that you can guide it in semi-manually until you need to bug out, at which point you scram at let the AMRAAM go hunting.)

Now, if these can do it, I don't see why RH can't do it.

Incidentally, RH DOES have a move whereby it moves Nanoha outta the way. It's called Flash Move. And it's an evasion tactic.

As for rifles and stocks: most of my OCs use rifle-shaped devices. On the other hand, they're also barely 20 years removed from actually using guns, before a war of annexation and occupation between their planet and the TSAB.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-01-18 at 07:27.