View Single Post
Old 2006-12-22, 15:43   Link #1
Farix

Router Recommendations

I was wondering if anyone could offer recommendations about a routed. I've just called my cable company, JetBroadband, today to reserve a cable modem for the new broadband service that will be going live next month.

I already have a Netgear FS608 8-port switch connecting the home network together. I was thinking of getting the Netgear RP614NA 4-Port Cable/DSL Router which will nicely complement the switch, but the bad reviews make me a little leery of it.

So, here are some of the things I'm looking for.
  • Compact: I don't have much space on the desk top for a large router. At the very least, it should be no larger then the current switch.
  • Aesthetically pleasing: the Linksys routers just don't cut it in the aesthetics department
  • Easy to set up and configure
  • Reliable (doesn't drop connections or flake out)
  • NAT and DHCP support
  • Built in firewall with UPnP support.
I'm not looking for a wireless solution as all the computers (2 of them) are currently hooked up to the switch. And I also don't expect for anyone to bring over a laptop nor do I believe I will host a LANparty (though I thought I might when I bought the switch 4 years ago). My dad does have a PocketPC (DELL Axim V50v), which he got as a retirement gift.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote