View Single Post
Old 2011-02-18, 06:42   Link #64
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
the way you review anime, in fact most of you post. show the you seem a technical stoic person. i mean there is barely feeling of "emotion" in there. obviously i understand that you sometimes criticize the technical aspect of an anime. but it seem you take that bit serious. i can be wrong obviously. since we are on internet. you can simply hide your personality.
I think you are mistaking my "style" in my posts with my personality altogether (especially if you read between the lines and the expressions I take, rather than my bullet points). I'd rather not want repeat what people already said in the same thread. That being said, even now, I don't particularly keep this stance all the time, as you can see with my post regarding IS ep7 (should I was technical stoic, it would be trash and I would never bother with it). Heck, I think I went tad on the fanboy side when I was reviewing Higurashi and Clannad over the episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
There's nothing wrong with looking at things critically; having fun and using your brain aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, I tend to be very critical and break everything down in my reviews, but that doesn't mean I don't do of the silly "omg she's so cute/cool" stuff that people do too.
That's exactly that. Furthermore, the opposite is so true as well: you can have a HGGGGGGNNN moment how many times you want, it won't really save a show if a deus ex machina just pop on your face, asking for forgiveness with a cheap ploy.

That being said, there are things that can be done right and leave an entertaining result, without being overly sophisticated.
In deen case, we have Fruits Basket for instance, quite lighthearted at the first glance, but combine pretty well comedy and philosophical stuff, albeit the last portion of the adaptation took a lof of liberties.
Quote:
The only problem is when something insults your intelligence and it stops you from enjoying it on either level. That's when it's bad.
Definitely one of the major issues. I don't think we can put more emphasis on the fact this entertainment is on par with other fiction format, regardless if we have kid/otaku pandering tendencies, cliche and whatnot. Thus, the execution and consistency of a story is as important as its content and essence.
And this is exactly what I'm criticizing Deen for, considering that they are just not trying at times, to outrageous level way too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Well, that's why it works. the thing is, an anime with low budget can works if used creatively, and SnI does it very well. It's one of those animes in which i'm actually fine with the lack of detail.
I do understand that studios need tricks to save budget in order to see the light after the tunnel. However, in the case of SnI, it was used nearly all the time, to the point I was wondering if they had a budget to begin with.
Take Seto no Hanayome for instance: it doesn't have a stellar budget either, but Gonzo at least -tried- to put a coherent execution, and used the tricks appropriately (mainly: slapstick comedy having a largely lower FPS, but not noticeable at the first glance due to the motion impression and "fast and furious" context).

In comparison, we have SnI with a average design consistency but an abnormally cheap environnment setting. If we assume that the characters weren't that colorful and amusing, there would be just... nothing to relish on, and that content was thanks to the original material.
You might say that the context isn't the same, but we have something similar to this: Seitokai no Yakuindomo, very similar to SnI, aside for an obvious drastic different humor. And we manage to have a lot more transitions, scenes and environnement despite we are also dealing with yet another student council body.

That would have been fine in the 90's, but I'm afraid it just doesn't cut it, even for a comedy show.
And if I were to poke at Higurashi season 1 budget, well... (and it isn't fault to the period... we had better consistency than that from much older series, like X1999, Cowboy Bebop etc)

It is just like that: that studio, regardless of their director, has a very obnoxious tendency at cutting corners with the budget and composition, even when the project itself is ambitious and very likely to sell (only few exceptions such like Kenshin OVA).
This comparison might look unfair but... I don't understand why they just can't dish out the budget for a movie like UBW, while ufotable could do that for Kara no Kyoukai. To begin with F/SN is arguably much more popular than KnK due to the original material vintage, and yet not only Deen doesn't try, but falls flat, whereas ufotable manages to make an impressive performance SEVEN times with SEVEN directors.
Deen knew they could sell with that movie considering the fanbase of F/Sn (and they surely did quite a bit considering the blu ray sales), but they really didn't try and simply expected the fans to take the bait.

Quote:
However, i do think that SnI would be WAY awesome if done by JC STaff.
I wouldn't bet on it to be frank, considering JC staff isn't really good at adaptation either, but that's for another thread I guess.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-02-18 at 07:07.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote