Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 21:51   Link #25213
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
O_o You serious? This isn't a nation divided for centuries and have veered off on their own separate paths, it's only been a few decades.

I mean, East Germany totally had to show they had to have something valuable and would work hard to prove they won't act like parasites before people tore down the Berlin Wall!

...oh wait.
East Germans preserved the pride of being German as well as they were the instigators (not a negligeable thing to consider) of the movement towards reunification by taking open civil action against their own regime. However even today, the process is still not completed considering many of the older folks are still deep into communist mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Vast differences between the former East Germany and West Germany (for example, in lifestyle, wealth, political beliefs and other matters) remain, and it is therefore still common to speak of eastern and western Germany distinctly. The eastern German economy has struggled since unification, and large subsidies are still transferred from west to east. The former East Germany area has often been compared to the underdeveloped Southern Italy and the Southern United States during Reconstruction after the American Civil War. While the East German economy has recovered recently, the differences between East and West remain present.
I'm not sure the North Koreans, especially when 25% (I'm sure I read that number somewhere) of the population is in the army and know little of doing something else, could help bridging the gap if Germans have issues of their own. And also, who in North Korea would shape the image of an unified Korea? Meanwhile, there are East Germans are shaping the image of Germany at home and abroad, including Kurt Masur, Michael Ballack, Katarina Witt, and Angela Merkel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It will be a struggle to balance it out between North and South Korea. Mainly because of how the North Korean government has treated its civilians. While they might be good for cheap labor in the first years, the amounts of food production and other things will take time to normalize within the South Korea economy.
That's why I used the term "parasites" (taking advantage of a host to feed themselves). Just food production itself is a big problem for South Korea should the reunification process kicks in because the North Korean administration knows nothing about generating food. Heck, those 3 billion dollars spent annually on missile development could have been spent to help feeding North Koreans with crops for 3 entire years.