Thread: Licensed Hourou Musuko
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-22, 20:27   Link #176
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
I've been sensing doom ever since that Christmas chapter but I am really surprised that Shimura managed to pair up my favorite character with my least favorite one. The problem's not that Chiba is dating, but the person she is dating. Fumiya's been after her forever and yes, he hasn't done anything bad to her. Maybe he will help her change for the better and maybe he's earned some sympathy points when he was crying tears of joy after hearing Chiba's response, but he simply isn't likeable (I daresay the majority of the fandom dislikes him, too). Kou from Aoi Hana is in a similar situation, he's had unrequited feelings for Kyoko for ages but his personality is still very amiable...something went wrong with Fumiya's character - I even like this new guy (the timid one who keeps pining for Chiba) better xD
Fumiya's arrogant and self-centered. Definition of unlikable. Not that he's a terrible person. He's just a teenager who happens to be a bit of a jerk. I'm not terribly hung up over FumiyaxChiba. For one, I don't think it'll last (I mean a couple has to break up at some point right? ShuuxAnna doesn't count since they got back together). And second, I've somewhat warmed up to the idea after a few months notice. Chiba needs to move on from Shuu and well Fumiya treats her well enough at the very least.

Quote:
On a more positive note, Shuu has revealed his true identity to the cafe owner, so at least we get some decent development on this front. Takatsuki has been degraded to a side character, she rarely has any lines now...
Shuu's life has gone (comparatively) smoothly hasn't it? Although, I guess the opportunity is there if you're willing to take it but he has certainly had his fair share of luck.

Takatsuki has been a side character since Shuu got together with Anna. Although, middle school was the beginning of the end. Shuu is the main character and he manages to make life interesting for the reader. Chiba is simply a more interesting, insecure and conflicted co-lead despite not having gender issues. Hell, Mako and Doi are (or were) more confused than Takatsuki is. I'm hoping something will happen to knock her out of her comfort zone.

(In any case, someone screwed up somewhere. The scanlation says Fumiya went to a boys' school in chapter 88.)
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote