Thread: Needless
View Single Post
Old 2009-08-24, 00:36   Link #62
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowii View Post
Spoiler for Needless volumes 10:
Spoiler for Volume 4-5:

Well, I've watched enough anime and manga (probably so have everyone) to normally be almost untouched by such developments these days. If Mio was a protagonist I would have muttered "Get off it, author. We all know she's going to be fine. Let's skip to the HOW, and try not to use too absurd a deux ex machina! (something this author has been reasonably good at so far...)" But Mio is not really a protagonist. You might remember she was introduced with a rather Kick the Dog moment.

I'm not assuming the worst, and you are probably right that she's going to make it, but such factors do introduce doubt. For the first time in many years I actually do not feel certain a character I care about will live, instead of knowing they'll live and hoping the author actually uses his brain in getting them out instead of the too worn "Last minute spurt of miracle power", or worse "The power of love and friendship" or similar deux ex machinas.

And that's no bad thing, except for my heart, who's waiting for the September 19 (plus the few days before someone finishes scanning...)

Spoiler for More Vol 10 spoilers:

Spoiler for Vol 6 and 8:
Still, the practice of using such foreshadowing as excuses to introduce "I am not Left-handed" at the most opportune moment is a little too worn for my taste.[/spoiler]
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote