View Single Post
Old 2006-01-10, 15:05   Link #10
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis
External HDD's ARE NOT for backup. Extra space for frequently used files but NEVER call external drives a 'backup' location. The same things can go wrong with a external drive as a internal drive.

As for LaCie. Yeah, they are good. But LaCie dosent make the HDD's in those fancy cases. Who does?
Actually they can be used for backups, just in the same way that an enterprise system will backup the data to large but cheap storage SAN and then stream it off to tape in its own time, I backup all my data to an external HDD once a night and once a week I DVD off things I consider vital ( I have these backing up to a specific dir so its easy for me to automate). Every few months I archive off my whole backup to a bunch of DVDs. Sure external HDDs are not as durable as other forms of backup, but if my internal HDD decides to go on permanant leave I have a nightly copy on my external.

One thing is about the spin speeds of the Maxtors, they may spin fast, but currently my OneTouch II is only achieving a max write of 6MB/s, whilst my OneTouch and my other ones where hitting 7MB/s and above.... I'm going to move it over to my fw400 port to eliminate it being a USB/port/cable issue... This is really annoying coz I use this drive has my main external work drive.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote