View Single Post
Old 2009-05-08, 09:15   Link #63
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
also u cant say its all fear i mean if you dont understand a language it can come off sounding annoying
Thus the superstitious fear of another language. You just proved my point. You find the languages annoying because it was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
also this is sooo not true, we have to be one of the most accommodating countries
Being accommodating to immigration is quite different from accommodating to various cultures. The United States is not exactly a major recipient of cultured goods, especially with our retarded trading regulations getting in the way.

On the other hand, how often do you get to see subtitled programs on television? And I mean public television. Hell, you don't even get to see subtitled programs on cable all that much. When people are speaking another language on the news, its dubbed over. When documentary was in another language, its dubbed over. Import products rarely retain their original packaging, and mostly dubbed over.

This is a trend not shared in East Asia and Europe, where the pursuit of dubbing is not a priority. In Japan, products imported from other countries mostly retain their original packaging as well as their original texts and so forth. On television, people speaking another language are rarely dubbed over, but subtitled (unless its a footage from CNN).

And people who live in Western Europe knows how many languages they will have to learn while growing up. Hell, our high school students can't even comprehend Spanish I!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2009-05-08 at 09:31.