View Single Post
Old 2009-09-12, 19:47   Link #23
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

My University provides a free copy of Trend Micro Officescan, but I don't know how good it is, but it shouldn't use that much resources since it's a enterprise version, not the resource hogging retail versions. If you are in a University, they most likely provide a free anti-virus for you to use.

I use Deep Freeze (standard version costs $45 dollars, which will cost the same as a Anti-virus on Windows) on my virtual machine which pretty much leaves the computer at the same state, even if a piece of malware gets installed, it will revert back to the same state. DF is useful, but the only problem is, you need to have a separate partition (you really should keep your data on a second partition) and redirect your My Documents, Music, Picture, etc folders to the second drive that you haven't frozen. Another thing is you need to thaw out the boot drive in order to install/update software and run Windows update which can be a inconvenience. DF is only works best if you done a clean install and install all your software and updates before freezing it.