View Single Post
Old 2005-12-18, 20:14   Link #17
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
It's funny how the supporting cast always seem to be much nicer than the apparent female lead. In fact, I think in 95% of cases I'd always be inclined to chase a secondary character rather than the lead.
That's because you only ever see the bad side of the lead female character.

EDIT: I just realized how unclear this post was. What I meant to say was that you only ever see the bad sides of the lead female character and, possibly, the main rival. The secondary characters have their positive traits reinforced and the main character has her negative traits out in the open. This makes it exceptionally easy to "like" the secondary characters, you almost never see their bad points (which, as we all should know, all people have). It's a device to make the "love" of the main characters seem more real, as the protagonist accepts the primary lead for both their good and bad sides, while turning down what appear to be superior options. There is also a time constraint that usually comes into play. There simply isn't time to illustrate the good and bad sides of 4+ different people in less than 26 (full length) episodes (once you account for all the other things, like plot, that have to happen). Once you start getting a cast like Canvas 2 or DC or (god forbid) DCSS, there simply isn't enough room to show why some of the options would be turned down. We just have to sort of take it on faith that, in fact, there is a reason why the protagonist chose the primary lead.

Though, as a moral, I've always liked the fact that the protagonist usually chooses someone that I wouldn't. It shows that all people are different and that there's something love-able about all of them. And that includes me.

Last edited by rooboy; 2005-12-19 at 00:39.
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote