Thread: Netflix Pokemon (Pocket Monsters)
View Single Post
Old 2007-07-20, 23:35   Link #57
ghstwrld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I see some threads were merged ... ouch.

Pokemon is just as durable as Hello Kitty and, in Japan at least, its a rite of passage for most small boys(children, they keep trying to lure girls in).

It wasn't until I'd seen a few raws, a few "forbidden episodes", and started noticing just how BAD the english dub scripts were that I realized that there was a more charming show being buried by American licensing idiocy.

So hand out the "donuts and pie" (sushi, mochi, nigiri, etc) and go to the "town carnival" (matsuri) passing by mostly unexplained ruins (shinto shrines or buddhist temples).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Of course the localization was intentional, it was just lamely done as are many imported series "targeted at kids". That argument is a fairly lame defense of poor choices in localization - localization *can* be done well, it could have been "educational" with a moment at the end of each episode explaining what things were. "Hey kids, did you know what the gang was eating? ..."
Hell, they could have called them tacos or burritos... corndogs even... something a little more nutritional.
I was a parent of elementary school kids in the late 80s and 90s during the height of the Pokemon craze. Broadcasters were scrambling to find anything that could be labeled educational. Missed opportunity.

There were a number of episodes that didn't make it over... like the bikini contest episode with the male of team rocket crossdressing with inflatable boobs... and a few that probably should not have made it over (like one intrinsically Shinto ghost episode that occurred during a matsuri -- the dub was barely comprehensible because they were trying to localize it and failed).
This man speaks truth. The dub is horrible. Its another anime that's been butchered and squandered by 4kids Entertainment (I'm still not over the One Piece debacle). Earlier this year, I was able to watch some of the original kanto episodes and a couple of the movies, and was pleasantly suprised. It's a totally different show.

When pokemon is on form, it reaches early disney/Studio Ghibli like greatness. I recall Satoshi Tajiri (pokemon creater) mentioning that being one of his goals with the IP and he's definitely succeeded.
ghstwrld is offline   Reply With Quote