View Single Post
Old 2012-12-31, 15:49   Link #233
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
As a note, there are still plenty of MMOs out there that aren't "Pay to Win." Guild Wars 2 for instance, requires only the investment of the original game with no subscription, and the only cash shop items are cosmetic or minor quality of life increases.

And while subscription games like WoW require a steady flow of $15 a month (50c a day), that puts you on equal footing with every other player in the game, with the only determining factors being time and skill.
Time became a problem for me when I stopped school because we can't pay for it anymore. So now, here I am, sitting around like a bum 24/7 for like 2 months now. So time shouldn't be a problem, anymore, right? Nope. I'm stuck with a crappy non-gaming laptop, so I can only play so much of my favorite games at a time.

Skill, hmm... I'm used to the traditional wait-until-poked RPGs, so when it comes to action RPGs, I tend to stumble even on the easiest missions (read: mid-level missions at the highest difficult) and I get my ass kicked in PvP.

Another problem I have is that I can't afford decent gear because by the time I can buy it, the gear becomes rare and crappy and better gear would be on sale. This is frustrating because people look at other players based on their gears, because generally, good gears = skilled player. Nobody has the patience to put up with a newbie, especially on popular missions. So I'm stuck with flying solo on a crappy mission because everyone else is too picky and expects everyone to be very skilled at the game. And I can't practice my skills because my budget won't allow me to (crappy laptop can't handle my game, so I'm forced to spend the little allowance I have on PC rentals).

That said, I don't think I could ever play SAO. However awesome could it be, I would die very quickly if I ever got the chance.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote