Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-08-14, 01:14   Link #3600
Shadow Kira01

Right-wing militias on the rise in US: report

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Incensed by the election of the first black US president, right-wing militia groups in the United States are rising again after a decade of decline, according to new research on extremist groups.

Ideologically driven by racism and a virulent anti-government, anti-taxation and anti-immigrant agenda, the homegrown groups that thrived in the 1990s and spurred numerous deadly terrorist attacks are expanding, said the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).

"This is the most significant growth we've seen in 10 to 12 years," said a law enforcement official quoted by the SPLC in its special report "The Second Wave: Return of the Militias."

"All it's lacking is a spark," said the official, adding it is "only a matter of time before you see threats and violence."
From the looks of it, it is only a matter of time when the streets are going to be unsafe as that there is an increase number of right-wing groups out there who are definitely not murderers but these pro-freedom and pro-constitution individuals also don't like the sight of non-white individuals, especially that the United States had elected a black president with a landslide victory, Barack Obama and the fact that he went on a tour of apologies just made things a little worse than it was before. The white individuals residing in America would definitely receive the benefits of extra protection from these right-wing groups but everyone else are obviously not in the same boat and that things will take a turn for the worse if a spark occurs.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
Correct. I'm Muslim myself and I have alot of people ask me about this whole thing. For one, I am not that religious. I do pray and believe in God but I still have alot to learn. So what does Jihad mean? Many interchange it with the term Holy War but the term Jihad comes from the Arabic root "jahada", meaning to struggle and the term has a much wider significance to it. Jihad can refer to any kind of struggle which has spiritual significance. Giving up smoking can count as Jihad, for example, or controlling one's anger.
The term "Jihad" can refer to the religious duty of Muslims which generally can mean anything. Supposedly, it is a term used as a reference to positive things as that it relates to religious beliefs but of course, there are always people within every religious foundation or organization that would make use of something good as a tool of malice which can't be prevented as that it is the nature of human beings. Nonetheless, that is irrelevant to what the term "Jihad" means. Perhaps, you can even translate the term "Jihad" to "realizing the path of Allah in a struggle to improve oneself and also one's society". Of course, I do know that the term is also used by various countries to describe malice and terrorism due to the anti-Islamic movement led by the United States and China.

Quote:
Religion and politics are two totally different things. And politicizing a religion is wrong.
I am not sure about Islam but since ancient times, religion and politics are one and the same in regards to the Christians and Roman Catholics. Its not that people are politicizing a religion but that the existence of a religion is the foundation of politics to start off with. However, it is also true that not every religion is associated with politics. Buddhism has nothing to do with politics since ancient times, as well as many other religious foundations.