Thread: Crunchyroll White Album (All Episodes, 1-26)
View Single Post
Old 2009-01-17, 12:50   Link #275
Mentar
Banned

Quick drop-in from the Uppcon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Oh come on. That's not fair. I put together a reasoned argument explaining, in detail, why I prefer one form of drama over the over, and you wave it away and call it a "tirade". There was one line, one line right at the start where I misinterpreted what you were saying and was unnecessarily terse, but the rest of it was completely unemotional.
Unemotional... let me quote exercepts: "utterly uninteresting... cheap... most dissonant... contrived... act like asses... lack of insightful meaning, a lack of sympathetic characters and a lack of character analysis to at least make them be interesting to the audience... losers doing stupid things... repulsive... failed as a compelling drama". If that's your idea of "unemotional", I sure don't want to see you angry. You also made no single "reasoned argument" I could discern from the rambling, all you do is to _claim_ "it failed" without giving a credible reason why. And if you're so blinded by your disgust that you failed to notice the intricately painted web of motivations of _all_ characters, how their relationships developed and changed over time, and why the anime ended the way it did, then there's no point in discussing that with you. The difference in perception is way too big.

Why go over the dozens of heated discussions over issues which took place back then during KGNE? Should Takayuki have waited? When should he have stopped? Was Mitsuki justified in making her move? Should she have taken Takayuki under her wings in the first place? How far does responsibility go? What about Akane's anger? How should Haruka deal with the situation? And most prominently, what was the true meaning of Haruka's book at the end (one of the most wonderful allegories I've ever seen, btw)? All these questions are meaningless according to you?

I like ef - it was a nice couple of more or less unrelated stories. The Chihiro story had an excellent climax in the second to last episode, but the resolution didn't quite satisfy me - "love conquers all" is no message which gets me excited. And the other triangle was also highly enjoyable (I liked the phone call including timer), but it most certainly didn't have the complexity and depth of Kiminozo. Not by a long shot. What were all these "themes" that I missed? (Well, not just me - compared to the KimiNozo frenzy, there were nearly no discussions in the ef thread - guess I wasn't the only one). But then again, there's little point in discussing our personal preferences if the difference is so vast.

Quote:
I don't get angry when people question my taste in anime. Why would I? It almost always leads to such interesting discussions, like the one we were having before you tainted it with a demeaning question of my state-of-mind. But I do get angry when someone questions something personal about me, my motives or my state-of-mind, like you did just now. It's a cheap, demeaning way to bring into question everything I wrote by saying "oh, he just blew a gasket for some reason".
Your reply was very heated - see above - and as you later implicitly admit you WERE angry. And I didn't question your motives or state-of-mind, I asked - politely - if my observation that all the animes you listed yourselves were of the "clean" romance anime kind should be interpreted as "You have a preference for this kind of show". This is "tainting"? Still, after whatever you wrote, I think that you DO have this preference. And it's absolutely fine to have it. Why wouldn't it be?

Quote:
It doesn't bother me if you don't want to continue this discussion, but you can't have the last word by making a patently false accusation about me, personally. We're way off topic now, so if you do want to continue, post a message in my Profile. I'd have done likewise with this one, but I felt like my reputation was at stake, which is pretty much the only time when I'll get defensive.
Again, I didn't accuse you of anything, I asked you a very reasonable and justified question in a very polite way: "Could that be true?" - you obviously 1) misunderstood the question itself and 2) blew up on it, while pretending later not to. Then you bash me for something I didn't do in the first place and demand that from now on I keep it on PM?

*shakes his head and returns to the con*

Last edited by Skyfall; 2009-01-18 at 03:59.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote