View Single Post
Old 2009-06-18, 01:25   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Mystique: We can only assume the Roman tourists probably behaved somewhat the same when visiting the territories in the late 400s AD.

Quote:
Personally, I think nations that open themselves to people around the world have at least the humble right to want their language/culture to carry on the same level of importance to future generations. (I say this as a second gen immigrant).
Yes, everyone should learn the primary language of the land they immigrate to, but it is the height of obnoxiousness to *yell* at a stranger for speaking another language to their friend (or to yell at tourists for speaking their own language). In a trolley in San Francisco, it isn't unusual to hear multiple languages, sometimes from the same person. If I moved to any other country, I just assume it is MY duty to learn the local language though I'd always keep my native tongue handy.

In my area, we have a large influx of recent immigrants: Russian, Ukraine, Guatemala, Cambodian, etc. They're not immediately up to speed -- my wife (pharmacist) has picked up enough phrases in 4 or 5 languages to make these people comfortable and help them with their english.

Great amusement is to be had when you know a bit of a language and the speakers don't realize you know what they're saying My wife and I were running a concession stand with some help from members of the high school soccer team. The two boys didn't realize we could speak some spanish and were "checking out the girls". My wife (japanese-american) asked them in Spanish if their mother let them talk like that about women.

Beet, beet red embarrassment....

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-18 at 01:39.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote