Thread: Licensed Katanagatari
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-27, 14:12   Link #245
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
... The dialogue in the first ep of Katana just didn't seem to have as much flavour and punch as the dialogues in Bakemonogatari. But maybe that's the fault of the original novel, I don't know.
This. The original novel has relatively little impact value for its first book (stapler girl), and the character design in a way also made it hard for them to have much freedom to design the rest of the world (which I also thought they did a splendid job in the OP). I keep thinking I'm watching a children fairy tale the whole time.

Though I think the people who are into heavy dialogue didn't get enough of the witty lines that Nisio is so famous for, and the ones who are not into heavy dialogue didn't get enough of the action (if you put the entire Monkey arc together in Bakemono you really get about the same amount of action as it here, except is more violent). Believe it or not, they actually edited out quite a few details, so it's even more chatty in the original (Togame talks A LOTTTTTT).

One thing I keep thinking about is the budget. Maybe they're being lazy with the scene (aka panning between characters and just straight up facial shots during conversation instead of say ... having a random scene about the blacksmith making those 1,000 swords) creativity to save money for the later parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Overall, I LOVED Katanagatari, and in the visual sense, I rate it far above Bakemonogatari.
White Fox's animation remains strong for its second major work, definitely keep tabs on anything made by this company from now on.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote