View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 22:10   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's such a shame that the overall setup for this episode wasn't better. And it's such a shame that Amata X Mikono has been hurt so much during the second half of Aquarion EVOL.

If not for these two factors, this would have been an absolutely fantastic episode. This intensely-gripping, action-packed, heavy-drama, highly-theatrical, colorfully-flashy style is exactly what I love seeing in anime. And Aquarion EVOL Episode 25 delivered that in such spectacular flying colors.

I'll even say that if Zessica somehow gets out of this alive, there's worse roles than being the shape and form (and occasional voice) of the glorious main antagonist during the epic final act. Mykage is such an awesome villain.

And I actually can finally kind of get what they're going for with Amata vs. Kagura. Kagura doesn't love Mikono, he loves Sylvie. Amata doesn't love Sylvia, he loves Mikono. That does make a difference. The theme of this anime isn't "Fight fate, rah rah rah!". I think that the theme of this anime is that fate isn't what should drive your actions, one way or another; what should drive your actions is the here and now, your honest feelings, being true to yourself, within the context of seeing others as they truly are. It may be a bit hokey, but that's the theme I think.

But... Amata's honestly well-stated bit about why he loves Mikono should have happened a long time ago (as it is, it's almost like Kawamori has assigned Amata the role of 4th-wall breaking damage control ) . Mikono has spent too much time being pushed around by the plot, and so seeing that again in this episode is a bit much. With better setup, this would have been a magnificent episode. But as is, it's very hard for me to really get emotionally invested in Amata's fight for Mikono.

As for the rest of the cast, I have no complaints. Andy/MIX couldn't have been handled better, really.

I'm going to wait to see the final episode before rating this one, and Episode 24.

I'll be honest - for me, a lot is riding on how things turn out for Zessica. If Zessica gets a decent ending then I'll excuse the really sloppy setup. Otherwise, I probably won't be able to.