View Single Post
Old 2011-10-22, 13:00   Link #277
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Gantz is an action anime with one mindless-violence filled battle after another, and it never examines any of its grotesqueries. Full Metal Alchemist is a drama, or as Endless Twilight put it, a "melodrama". It doesn't seem fair to compare FMA 2003 to something like Gantz, if only due to the genre.

Also, though I agree with you about Gantz, I don't dislike it because it's childish. The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, The Hobbit, and Chronicles of Narnia are childish, because, well, all of them were originally written for children, but they're still better than the overwhelming majority of fictional works. No, I dislike Gantz, and works similar to it, because it’s a mindless gore fest that fails to inspire any sort of emotional response for me. Art's purpose is to inspire an emotional response in its audience; that emotional response may vary from happiness, to sadness, to disgust, but if it inspires nothing, then in fails as an artistic work. Mindless violence, which FMA 2003 isn't, inspires nothing but apathy in me.
And now you show that you don't know the meaning of words you are using When someone says that something is childish then they are calling it immature, it has nothing to do with mood or themes of a series, but rather how it approaches it. All of the examples you listed aren't childish series at all as each and everyone of them approaches their themes with a sense of maturity, and even then a series being childish isn't a bad thing. What makes a series bad is the story itself.

Also the 2003 did the same thing that Gantz did in that they only wanted a knee jerk emotional response, and in its same vein all of it was unnecessary and if it failed to elicit an emotional response out of you would only leave you confused as to why they did that. Again, I am not talking about content, I am talking about the method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Spoiler for Multiple Spoilers For Full Metal Alchemist 2003:
You know what its no use using the spoiler for 2003 series because of its age.

Your not answering my question, I know what happened but again, what was the point to all of that? What was the point to having Rose being raped, she hadn't been around since episode 2 so I didn't feel anything for her character, the emotional response was lost on me. Heck what was the point to what happened with Lior, Lior hasn't been around for just as long, so again what was the point of doing that to Lior, especially since Lior is already a part of the country so what was the point of the war, especially since Dante didn't have as much influence as Father did, how did they even explain this to the other higher ups? Yes one of the themes was War is hell but the effects Ishvalan war already drove that point home.

What was the point to Dante's character, I'm not talking about motivation or emotional response I'm asking for the point. She's just some crone whose afraid of dying. That's it there's nothing special about her, she's not smarter than anybody else, she's lacks charisma, and she wasn't that great at alchemy either, and her influence was also severely limited to just the homunculus. So how the heck was she able to do what she did? And for that matter what was ultimately the point to having her as a villain.

And also about Mustang and Winry's parents they didn't do anything with it, it was just introduced and like everything else dropped. They didn't even have Winry confront him about it, or even have tell Winry. It was just used as another reason to make Roy angst, the Ishvalans that he killed were people as well, so he was already in the wrong for killing those innocent civilians (which was already an established fact that most if not all alchemists killed civilians). By only having him concern himself with the Rockbells is like saying that the Ishvalans are less than them, which is actually a pretty racist message. There was literally no point having Roy kill Winry's parents to try and drive that point home, the fact that he (as well as many of the other characters) was involved with the Ishval war already drove that point home, introducing that and not doing anything with it was just unnecessary.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote