View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 00:18   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just to be clear, when I'm talking about "one man against the world", I'm not talking about one man literally trying to conquer the world, or anything like that. I'm talking about the lone individual, the lone man (or woman) trying to carve out his niche in the world. And, in some circumstances, that may throw him (or her) into a lot of conflict. I was thinking of the anime Monster when I wrote that, by the way.

Friendship generally plays a role in shows focused on adult characters, but it's reduced a bit, and I think that's reflective of real life.

I personally think that friendship is important, all throughout life, but it's degree of importance is at its height for kids, adolescents, and maybe post-secondary students. This is due to the way modern society is structured.

Educational institutions, by their very nature, greatly encourage the people in them to make friends. Kids also tend to have more free time than adults, making the benefit of active friendship a bit more clear for kids.

I personally find that the adult workplace doesn't afford the same opportunities for making/growing friendships that educational institutions do, but I'll admit that this probably can vary wildly from one workplace to another.

Long story short, friendship isn't just important for a kid growing up, it's pretty much necessary. As an adult, friendship is still nice to have, but it's not always necessary. A lot depends on the specific individual, his/her place in life, and what s/he's aiming for in life.