Thread: Licensed Rosario to Vampire
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-20, 15:51   Link #2187
Charsiupao

I just finished this today - Season 1 and 2. I found Season 2, Capu, to be much more fun - I really laughed out loud in so many episodes, while Season 1 was more of character introduction. I particularly love the parents visitation and the curry episodes. The opening theme was also much nicer, although I wish the scenes were more plot or character related rather than the dancing stage - seems more suited for a closing theme.

I feel really bad for Kurumu and Mizore, though. They just soldier on gamely and selflessly even though I'm sure they know deep down inside that they'll never get Tsukune. It's probably a case of loving without caring if they get loved back or not, and having some flirty fun along the way. At the end of Season 2 I also ended up feeling bad for Inner Moka for the same reason.

The fanservice was excessive, and detracted from a very enjoyable experience (especially when you really want to watch it with the wife for the laughs and realise that it's probably not so good). The censorship with the bat in Capu was funny, although they didn't seem to cover some scenes.

My one main complaint was that the subtitling in the version I watched was terrible. Most episodes had bad grammar, and a couple of them were particularly bad, to the point where they were incomprehensible. It's like someone took the Chinese subtitles and ran them through Google translation to produce the English subtitles. I had to rewatch the episodes with Chinese subtitles (which I can read slowly with judicious use of the "pause" button) to catch plot lines.

By and large it was a really fun experience. Coming immediately after the excellent Steins; Gate on my anime-watching experience it was always going to be on the back foot, but after a slow start it ended up being a very enjoyable time, and I will miss the characters. Kappu-chu!!!
Charsiupao is offline   Reply With Quote