View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 15:02   Link #57
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Look, ultimately you and nightbat can believe what you wish for reasons that you wish. But when you're trying to convince people, state your statements are logical or factual, then you need to look objectively at the factset. This is not by any means all encompassing, but here's a link to the HDI -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
Fact: not everything today is made of sunshine and fairies
Fact: not everything in the past is outdated or bad
Fact: Human ingenuity is equal to human stupidity

I'm well aware that more people have more rights and freedoms, we live longer/healthier, our quality of life in general is better than it has ever been
Like I said: I'm a hypocrit
Too pampered by todays comforts to be able to go back to 'yesteryear'
But I don't blatantly state that everything today is better than before

At least I'm also try looking at things from a different perspective
Something that everybody should be doing to try and prevent falling in pitfalls we already climbed out of once (or twice or,...)

Also, if you want to advance, you better start worrying about the animosity and estrangement that is growing in todays societies
(Oh how internet connects people, I'm betting a number in this topic already formed a negative opinion about my person, just because I didn't use emoticons )
In our race to the top of the ladder, we can bet our ass that the people we kicked off it along the way or left behind as 'useless/expendable' aren't enclined to make that view at the top better for us alone