View Single Post
Old 2010-12-30, 15:20   Link #20622
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Yeah, but can you point to a single instance of George actually doing something damning, rather than something suspicious? Just about everything he does could be easily handwaved as misinterpretation or the reader being more suspicious than is actually merited.

Mind you, I think George is suspicious as all get-out, but Ryukishi just as easily could pull a fast one on us, as Judoh said, by entirely exonerating him. And it would work. It'd be cheap (what was all that sinister buildup?), but I couldn't call it implausible.
Just to comment from the last page...

I was reading The Benson Murder Case by Van Dine. Yes, that Van Dine... no, not Will. 8)

If we compare the culprit to what George does in this game, I'd have to say that the culprit, during the entire (rather dry) novel did absolutely nothing suspicious. There was one thing that was a bit strange, but then he gave the detective team a perfectly valid explanation.

The only thing that pointed to his guilt was really the murder scene; basically how it was set up and what items were lying around. This was presented in chapter 1, even before you knew the list of potential suspects.

In fact, the only thing suspicious that the culprit did, prior to the start of the novel, which caused Lion--I mean Philo Vance to suspect him was that he had a "solid" alibi. In other words, constructing a solid alibi (that wasn't really solid) was suspicious. All the other suspects had poor alibis.

So, with George, it isn't necessary that we see him actually doing anything; especially not if he's the last culprit we are to find. We can't use 'induction' on him... instead, we must look for clues around him that point to him in a deductive manner, I think.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote