View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 08:15   Link #2233
AznAndy94
The Unknown Artist

Send a message via MSN to AznAndy94 Send a message via Yahoo to AznAndy94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Music View Post
How do you learn those fast licks? I mean, do you start slow and clean, then move up to speed, maintaining cleanliness, OR go full speed on the start, and try to polish from that speed.
It really depends on the person and what song you're doing. When you have a song that's not too fast or basic for a lick, for example, the the small verse part in Gohan wa Okazu, try to at least get down the basic "path" your hands have to follow. Really get confident about where your hand and fingers end up. It should come really quickly. However, licks that end up looking like ascending and descending scales at the rate of 1/16 notes, play as slow as you can manage (I'd say try at 50% speed and higher, anything lower would be not beneficial). Same as before, try to remember the "path" your fingers have to take. Muscle memory is a strange thing, the more you try playing, the more you hand may do it without even thinking.

On another note on that, my ex-bandbuddy would actually pound away at the 1/16 notes and if he messed up, he'd go right back to the start again. (It got really annoying)
AznAndy94 is offline   Reply With Quote