View Single Post
Old 2012-07-07, 23:37   Link #84
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
The value that you assign to it is something subjective to you only, and while you're certainly entitled to it (hence why I said earlier we'll just have to agree to disagree), it is NOT an objective fact or standard. While uniqueness can be a plus, it is by no means something that's automatically good.
Except it's a fact that this event and its timing made it different from most every other show that had it all all.
You're right that uniqueness doesn't necessarily mean better, though. Except it did in this case, and the follow-up to the uniqeness was just as good.
And I wasn't the only one who liked it by the way.

Quote:
Nope, I understand your point and your post, I simply do not agree with it. A chronological adaptation of SAO literally changes NOTHING about the event you're fretting over, except which episode it'll air in.
I'm sorry but you don't understand my point, and your line there proves it again. You're too focused on talking about the fact that it will be animated at a different point in the series; I'm talking about how the timing of the event made the series different from just about everything else out there, especially since this event is obviously and clearly a major and significant factor in the series.
In a world where 97% of anime follows a pattern, SAO dared to be part of that other 3% despite the possible detrimental effects of having that kind of event too early. And SAO pulled it off beautifullly. As said above, uniqueness in this case worked out very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Also, if you want to get technical, since SAO was originally written as a stand-alone work, technically the event you're talking about happened during the later parts of the story, which in your book makes it the "same old recipe".
Except I'm aware of this. That and the fact that it was then turned into a full-on light novel series yet the author didn't make any changes to the placement of this event like they're doing with the anime. So still unique.

Now we really should call it quits here because I get the feeling Relentlessflame is going to walk in toting the hammer at this rate, this not being the entirely proper thread to be talking about it.