View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 03:33   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Animation Quality: 7/10

This made it watchable, the character designs were "clean", the animation was okay, there were little times where it felt like they cut corner. That is worth hands clapping.

Voice Actors: 6/10

Other than Kana Hanazawa, which I really never paid mind to until now, most of the voice actors delivered the usual. Professionally done, but how to put it? Marina Inoue was Marina Inoue, Yukana was Yukana and Tamura was Tamura. Nice but nothing outstanding.

Script: 3/10

And that's really because I am being nice, due to Charlotte and Chifuyu. Most of the 180 degrees, Cecilia's and Laura's comes in mind, made me go "WHAT?". The Silver Gospel part really felt like it was crammed in after episodes of harem antics.

Soundtrack: 6/10

Really because nothing stood out.

Editing: 5/10

The part with Silver Gospel really came about abruptly with little to no foreshadowing, and the same could be said about the develoment of the relationship between Ichika and Houki. I mean, I know they are childhood friends, but come on, throw in some clues here and there that Ichika is a little more interested in Houki.

Enjoyment: 6/10

But that's really because the technique (character and background designs and animation), Charlotte and Chifuyu made it watchable. Those two characters deserves to be in a better series.

Emotional Involvement: 8/10

I have to say... It tells you something when a show manages to make you talk about it either because you are gushing over Charlotte or any of the haremettes, raging over the stupidity of the IS world, the stupidity of the development of the characters (Houki, Cecilia and Laura comes in mind) or the inanity of Ichika (sorry Ichika, but Tomoya have become the measuring mile of a "good" male in this kind of setup). And yeah, nerd rage.

Characters: 5/10

A really mixed bag. Did I say Charlotte and Chifuyu made the show watchable for me? Now you have an idea.

* Ichika

Way too often in this genre, the male lead is the weakest link. His density, and other many things that have plagued this character template. To his credit, he is a gentleman, in the way that he treats the girls as a part of a nakama of some sort, he knew when to stand when one of the girls have gone too far. But too often, "being nice" is not gonna save a character that can be infuriating and frustrating at times. He is not a totally bad character, he should have been better characterized with even more emphasis put on this gentlemanly part of him, and less on his denseness; also because the animeverse really don't need another Dark Schneider who is awesome, yes, but we really need only one Dark Schneider. Also, please, no more fight won on dumb luck.

tl;dr: Ichika, while being dense and carrying the torch of the male lead with a mix of dumb luck and conveniency, is not totally devoid of qualities. He is kind of a gentleman, no matter how his denseness lead to serious wallbanging, which is kind of commendable; he is willing to stand his ground when someone goes out of line which is kind of cool when too often other males just passively receive the abuse. Unfortunately, "Being nice" had been run into the ground since Tenchi Muyo as excuse for why girls flock to him. It's not going to cut it anymore for people who have grown weary of that kind of setup. However, Ichika becomes a little more acceptable if you decide to treat the IS team as a nakama with Ichika as the leader, and Chifuyu as Big Boss. In that angle, he then becomes a little more tolerable.

Score: **/**** if you see Ichika as Harem Leader
***/***** if you take the nakama angle.

* Chifuyu

The big sister who really plays the older sibling part. Harsh, head on shoulders, no non-sense and who really do care for her brother, in a tough sibling love way. Also voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi which is a bonus for me.

Score: ****/***** awesome big sister.

* Houki

The childhood friend with a perpetual frown that would make the whole cast of Hokuto no Ken cry manly tears. Also a tsundere. What a twist! Unfortunately, her character suffered from the "low grade tsundere syndrome" which result on being constantly frustrated over her character in a "MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND YOU B*TCH!". Also an example of why "First Girls Wins" is too often a BAD TROPE.

Score: **1/2/***** winning first girl trope had been run into the ground yo

* Cecilia

Rich Brit B*tch? I think that the hardest part to swallow about her is her "sudden friendliness" over Ichika after her defeat. I mean, she could have the potential for a rival figure that slowly and relunctantly accept Ichika as part of the school in despite of her big pride. But no, apparently a sudden 180 is the way to go.

Score: ***/***** 2 for hey I am generic rich b*tch who 180 when defeated by a male. +1 for the sunscreen oil hilarity.

* Fan Yin Lin (whatever you spell it)

The chinese girl who have no other reason to be here than being the local chinese girl. The fact that she slightly fade on the background... Well, perhaps it would have been better if she had been put in a bus. I dig her yandere side tho.

Score: ***/***** 2 for just appearing and kinda fade afterward. +1 for yandere bit.

* Charles/Charlotte

One of the saving graces of the cast, in my opinion. Not because she is french. But because she have this kind of soft elegance, "normality" and genre savvy-ness that is a breath of fresh in a cast of stereotypes. Too bad you are doomed to lose to Houki, girl.

Score: ****/***** The most "normal" girl of the cast. Petite, elegant and soft-spoken. Excuse me while I claw my eyes out from the frustration of "Girl, you deserve to be in a better series!"

* Laura

Raaar, I am German, I am a Not!Nazi, I am a genetically engineered super-soldier! Also voiced by Marina Inoue. Her backstory was kinda cool tho.

Score: ***/***** Really because I kinda dig militaristic girls. With eyepatches.

* Oppai-Sensei

Miss Exposition, nice girl, retired IS pilot that is good.

Score: **/***** That's the problem with Miss and Misters Exposition, it's hard to make them interesting. Well, nice big boobies tho.

* Tabane

I want to headbutt her, I really do. I usually don't mind "perky" nerds, I mean L and Abby from NCIS are two of my favorites weird nerds figures. But Tabane, it is putting too much in the cute and perky side, to the point it felt forced.

Score: */***** Forced perky nerd is forced. Voiced by someone who is not Yukari Tamura would have make her better and more tolerable, somehow.

Overall the character cast, even with a few standing out like sore thumbs, is not that bad and many are salvageable with a better characterization. I would like to have the impressions of light novel readers, possible in my public chat or through pm to tell me how they are characterized in the original source.

Overall 5/10

On the technical side, it is good. Nice eye candy and design, the animation was okay. But the rest, character cast, story progression and the rampant sexism of the universe (that is as bad as in Nanoha imo, but for other reasons), ranged from tolerable to downright enraging. But not all is that bad, the characters can get good if given the chance, unfortunately the show not being able to decide what it should be and the story progressed in a questionable pacing. If not for how the story progressed and the genre identity crisis, it would have been a 6. And with better characterization, it would have been a 7.

I admit it, I must have been feeling tsundere for the series at times.

PS: the 4 had been a mistake from me. Excuse me. So if a nice moderator can fix it, I would be grateful.

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-04-16 at 03:47.