View Single Post
Old 2011-12-05, 00:31   Link #62
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giriath View Post
I don't know. That's an absurdly difficult thing for any author to accomplish, in any medium, and certainly not what I demand of a work of fiction to consider it above average.

I don't think it's a poor judgment of character to think it odd that Shana, who has trained to fight or fought Guze no Tomogara all her life, would be so frightened she was unable to move in that corridor. Or that she would hesitate to make every attempt of escape once the threat of the Trinity and Yuji (who she still may not be in a correct state of mind to fight) was gone.
The problem wasn't her state of mind but in fact the state of her powers. She was basically just a normal human even if they thought she might try something she could be caught and overpowered by the weakest of enemies still there. I doubt if cared they whether she'd tried to make every attempt to escape which I think the character grasped.

Quote:
And true enough, once they were she focused only on finding a chance to do so. Since she never once thought of summoning Nietono no Shana, I think we can safely conclude she did not know that was an option. That's why I think it's weird that she wouldn't be surprised that her desperate and last resort attempt actually worked.
I did say she was surprised. If you look at the scene again you'll see with the intake of breath and the movement of her head when she heard something coming down the hall does denote some level of surprise. She probably only realized what happened when she recognized Tenmoku Ikko.

Quote:
And if Tenmokku Ikko was really able to kill Fecor, at least credit him with a fight scene! I guess a prolonged fight would have looked silly though, with Fecor being the lone combatant with the ability of flight. But maybe Fecor could have considered the threat of Tenmokku Ikko bringing Shana the sword worth the risk of diving in for an attack, only to be unexpectedly crippled and defeated. I would have liked to see something like that though, instead of Tenmokku Ikko just walking through him (I guess he was just unlucky to be in the direct path Tenmokku Ikko was taking to Shana?).
A fight scene is completely unnecessary for such a minor character. You might prefer it but it adds nothing to the story whether he died on screen or off. He is a non-combat enemy; someone who would probably get killed by any third-rate flame haze if he did engage in combat.