View Single Post
Old 2012-05-31, 14:19   Link #1
marvelB

Danganronpa [PSP] - Game discussion

Seeing as the sequel is just around the corner (and the SA Let's Play thread just recently finished the third chapter of the first title), I figured that now would be a good time to make this thread.....

Anyway, this is a thread to discuss the "Super High School Level" mystery game that is Danganronpa! For those unfamiliar, this is a VN-type of game that involves a group of quirky students with specific talents who all get trapped in a school run by a demented robot bear named Monokuma (or Monobear, as he's better known as by us English-speakers at this point), who proclaims that the only way to escape from the Academy of Despair is to graduate..... through murder. Just about anyone familiar with this title will tell you that this game can be described as a fusion of Phoenix Wright and Battle Royale, (right down to each chapter containing a climactic courtroom battle, which has some fun gameplay mechanics!). Yes, with its colorful cast, kickass soundtrack, and a plot filled with thrills, chills, and spills...... well, this is definitely one wicked mystery title to watch out for.....

"But wait", you may ask. "Isn't this some niche Japan-only title? How can we discuss that here??" No worries there! See, thanks to a certain Let's Play thread on Something Awful, This franchise has gotten the exposure it deserves to the western audience. And it's a great thread, too: The OP goes out of his way to not only translate the whole plot, but even posts a bunch of pictures, provides the appropriate music that's played for each scene (and I really must stress that this is an excellent soundtrack, as well) and even posts videos for the trials and various other scenes. Heck, he even posts bonus stuff like developer interviews and concept art! orenronen, my good sir, I salute you.

However, a bit of a warning: I think this should go without saying, but it would most definitely be best to POST ANYTHING PLOT-RELATED UNDER SPOILER TAGS, ESPECIALLY IF IT PERTAINS TO THE SEQUEL. Mind you, I'm already familiar with how the game ends myself (played and beat it about a year before the LP thread appeared), but since my knowledge of the Nihongo was (and still is) minimal at best, I'm basically experiencing the plot properly for the first time through the LP thread, as well. So of course that means I'll also be strict on myself about spoilers. Now, with that being said.....

Let's get this thread started, you bastards! Upupupu~~~

UPDATE: As some of you may already be aware, the first game's LP was completed a while a go. So for anyone who finished it, you can now check out the in-progress translation for Super Danganronpa 2 as well as the prequel to the series, Zero!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-01-16 at 18:07.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote