View Single Post
Old 2009-08-22, 03:57   Link #398
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Haruhi: ko-haru-hi-yori ("Fair Spring Weather"--notice that the second and third kanji make up "Haruhi")
True except that it's koharubiyori.

Quote:
Koizumi: read as ko-i-zu-mi, though the meaning of the characters is different from the ones that his name are written with.
You can't read 古今東西(kokontouzai) as ko-i-zu-mi. Otherwise, can you explain the pretty impossible way to read please?

Quote:
Nagato: oku-man chouja ("one who has 100,000,000 times 10,000"--in other words, a trillionaire--reckoned in yen, a trillion yen is about US$8-11 billion these days) Notice that the third kanji is the same "naga" as in "Nagato".
True.

Quote:
Mikuru: Zen-jin Mirai--"Predecessor from the future"--note that the kanji "rai" in "Mirai" (future) can be read "kuru", so "Mirai" can be read "Mikuru"--yes, this makes Mikuru's name a pun for "future".
It's zenjinmitou, "without precedent" as a.f.k. translated. I don't have a problem with the point that it's the pun for future, but the kanji supposed to be in her name is "mi".

This is nothing more than my guess, but when Japanese readers learn Mikuru is a time traveler from the future, I believe they would notice it's a pun soon. To be continued in Spoilers & Speculation thread because it is beyond the scope of this thread.

Quote:
Kyon: Seigi Ippatsu--"Justice by a hair's breadth" (i.e. the good guys win by the skin of their teeth)--this is the only one that is not a reference to the character's name, but then again we don't actually know Kyon's full name. However, the idea of winning by a hair's breadth fits in with Haruhi's desire to win while still feeling challenged, and Kyon's feeling that they cut it way too close much of the time.
It's kikiippatsu, "nick of time" as a.f.k. translated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I've been noticing Kunikida and Taniguchi didn't blink at all throughout their scene.

Kyoani is really slipping.
I was bothered rather by their voices. I think it's sort of a voice direction error. If they sounded as still and down as they looked, you wouldn't have minded it.